Before it was Lynn: A community called Larissa formed about two miles west of what eventually became Lynn with the establishment of a post office on May 6, 1857, when it was still Hancock County, before being renamed Winston. The first postmaster was Andrew Jackson Ingle, who later on became the "Father of Double Springs." He served as the only pre-Civil War postmaster, as the post office was closed during this volatile time. At one time, Larissa was located near the current intersection of County Roads 356 and 358. Often times, the post office, and therefore the community, moved to wherever the postmaster lived. Alford M. Hyde was the last postmaster of Larissa. The mail was discontinued at Larissa and consolidated with the Lynn Post Office on the same date the Lynn office opened: August 1, 1888. Before it was named Lynn, the area was called Black Swamp. This name was found in newspapers as early as 1887 and was used for the 1900 census for Lynn. It most likely was given the name for the swampy area near Blackwater Creek but could also be from the swampy area of Splunge Creek. Also, there is evidence that what eventually became Lynn was called “South Louisville” in 1887. The first postmaster of Lynn, Alvah R. Lackey, said, “I built and helped to build the first houses at Lynn. Was present when the civil engineer laid off the town lots. The lumber that was used was of the roughest of the rough kind being hauled on a tar pole wagon drawn mostly by oxen...The first train which ran the rail was greeted by people from far out in the country, north, south, east, and west, who came to see the sight. Babies and small children would go into 'delirium trembles,' de-aproning their mothers. ”John White Lynn: Lynn was given its name from the railroad company because John White Lynn donated land on February 27, 1889 for right-of-way for the railroad along with land for a depot. John Lynn was born May 23, 1834 in Morgan County, Alabama. He married Martha Jane Oliver on January 10, 1856 in Itawamba County, Mississippi, joined the 56th Alabama Partisan Rangers in 1862, and died April 28, 1911. He is buried in Springhill Cemetery in Walker County.
The Railroad: Lynn saw growth and expansion in mining and lumber yards when the railroad was built through the town in 1888. The railroad began in 1884 as the East Tennessee, Virginia, and Georgia Railroad, later on as the Birmingham and Tennessee River Railroad, and still later as Sheffield and Birmingham Railroad in 1885. By August 1887, the railroad ended in Delmar, and the track from Delmar to Jasper, which included Lynn, opened on May 16, 1888, being 35.32 miles of track between the two towns. The name was changed in 1887 to the Birmingham, Sheffield, and Tennessee River Railway (with the company running it being called the Sheffield and Birmingham Coal, Iron, and Railway Company). The track was eventually completed to Parrish in 1889. It changed yet again in 1899 to Northern Alabama Railway and stayed with this name until 1939 when it became known as the Southern Railway. It is known now as the Norfolk-Southern Railway, beginning in 1990. The Lynn Depot was built in 1892 at a cost of $736.91, with the first two agents being James Lambertson and J.D. Thrash. It was moved in April 1972, with a new depot replacing the original which was built at the same time. Lynn was station number 62, meaning that Lynn was about 62 miles from Sheffield. In 1936 seven passenger trains ran daily through Lynn. Two were Northern Alabama, four were Illinois Central, and one was Mobile & Ohio.
The Schools: The first school at Lynn was a one-room frame building. The first year, seats were planks laid across bales of shingles. The next year, homemade seats and desks were available. By 1916 the school was expanded to include three rooms with three teachers and had a second story. This school burned in 1924 (the actual date is lost to history), and classes were held in homes and the two churches until a new six room frame building was erected in 1925 at a cost of $8,000. Besides being an elementary school, this school was also referred to as the Junior High School and was located at the exact spot where the original school was. It opened October 5, 1925.Plans for an accredited high school were started in 1926, and from records gathered, the Lynn High School was established about 1928, though the exact date or year cannot be pinpointed. An auditorium and three rooms were added in 1928 and 1929. The first football team for the Lynn Bears was organized in 1929. The first graduating class was in 1930, consisting of three boys and three girls, Nerva Dodd being the first graduate. As transportation became more available, the surrounding one teacher schools were gradually consolidated with the Lynn School. The Baptist Church was used for some classes until a brick building was built for the high school in 1935. The vocational building was erected in 1940.Attention was given to the Lynn Elementary School starting in the late 1950s because of deteriorating conditions. By 1961, a rotted sill was sagging, and it was afraid it would fall though with a student. Also, the principal was concerned that if a strong wind came and part of the structure caved in among any of the eight coal stoves would cause an inferno. Therefore, by 1964, a new elementary school was being built. Then a storm had damaged the flue of the old elementary school, and when a fire was built on March 5, 1964, it caught the elementary school on fire. There were 185 children in the building at the time, and all escaped without any injuries. Since the high school was so close, firemen kept it from burning too by keeping it wet. This building that burned was the one built in 1925. The new elementary school was finished in April 1964. Work on a new school lunchroom was begun in 1961 behind the high school at a cost of $30,000.Then on May 16, 1969, the high school burned due to faulty wiring. This time, the newer elementary school was kept wet and was saved. The present high school was built in 1969 and 1970 at a cost of $200,000, opening on September 8, 1970. Classes were held in mobile homes that were later donated to the Catholic Church in Haleyville.
Lynn Church of Christ: The present building for the Lynn Church of Christ was built in 1950. The following is a Church of Christ history that was written by Joseph H. Baughn. About the year of 1884 when I was five years old, I can remember the preachers of the Church of Christ preaching in this vicinity at a little log building about one and one-fourth miles south and three-fourth miles west from where the Town of Lynn is now situated. It was out near one-fourth mile from where the old Davy Harper Mill was on Blackwater Creek. Henry Lambert occasionally came there to preach, but most of the preaching was done by Elijah Harron, James Wade, Virgil Randolph, and Sam Burton from the Lost Creek country in Walker and of Fayette Counties. The little building of logs nic-cracked, sealed on end, the south end was gabled, the north end was open, the south two-thirds were floored, the north third was dirt. The seats were logs split open or hewed off so the holes bored in them for legs. This was the equipment. Some one of those preachers came there about once a month during the summer. There was no heat and no preaching or service in cold weather. The county was thinly settled and not many people to attend those meetings. In the year of 1885, the church was organized at this place. I have the original document in my possession at this date which is as follows:May the 24th, 1885, Winston County, Alabama. We the Disciples of Christ whose names are recorded below desiring to organize ourselves into a Church taking the Word of God alone as our Government in Faith and practice do hereby commend to each others care and to the Protection and care of our God and Master. William Larimore, F.M. Halcumb, George P. Baughn, W.T. Stalnacker, F.J. Baughn, A.Z. Halcumb, F.M. Bailey, Nellie Palmer, Louese Poore, Margaret Baughn, Louise Brimer, Rebecca Baughn, C.M. Holt, N.G. Baughn, and Rachel Beatie. Names of persons who later came into the church by confession and baptism or moved in from other parts: E.P. Rose, Mary Rose, H.W. Penington, Nancy Cagle, Vatio Rose, W.R. Rose, Angeline Rose, J.H. Morris, S.J. Baughn, M.A. Baughn, W.A. Baughn, W.M. Holt, W.J. Rose, Mattie Morris, J.R. Rose, Dollie Rose, J.N. Rose. This is a true correct and exact copy of the old record of the first organization in this the Lynn District of Winston County and mostly under the service or preaching of Elija Harron of Walker County. Other preachers who preached here occasionally were: James Wade, Virgil Randolph, Timothy Burton, Henry Lambert, Wesley Freeman, C.A. Wheeler 4 to 6 years, R.E. McCorkle of Tenn., James Hill of Tenn., John Hill of Tenn. R.N. Moody of Albertville, Ala., B.F. Moody of Albertville, Ala., J.C. Franklin, Bob Taylor, and many, many others. Lynn Baptist Church: Lynn Baptist Church, also known as the Salem Baptist Church of Christ in the beginning, was organized in approximately 1890. The church joined the Clear Creek Baptist Association, now the Winston Baptist Association, on September 29, 1893 at Double Springs with a membership of 30. The messengers were W.R. Long, Thomas Farris, and L.A. Lynn. Although no record of the church has been obtained, it was written that the possible organizer of the church was L.M. Taylor. Possible charter members included the families of W.R. Long, L.A. Lynn, Sim Tucker, Jim Crow, and Thomas Farris. Early baptisms from the Lynn Baptist and Lynn Church of Christ were shared at the same place: Gray’s swimming hole, a pond that is still located at the south and west end of Long Street. There have been four churches at Lynn Baptist. The fourth and present building groundbreaking was in May 1969 and work was begun in 1970 with Brooks Huey of Cumberland Industries of Nashville, Tennessee as contractor. The cost of the contract with Cumberland Industries was $105,000, $40,000 of which was borrowed from a bank. The dedication for the new church was on December 13, 1970. The church has honored some of their pastors in the past for outstanding excellence in the community and church by having a day set aside for them. Two of those were Fred Farris (October 8, 1978), who served as Music Director for more than 25 years without pay, and Ike Ford (May 29, 1983), who taught singing school, pastored several churches, and preached many revivals. A new organ and piano was bought for $20,000 in March 1985. The largest offering ever made to the Lynn Baptist Church was from the estate of Mr. and Mrs. John T. Harris by J.B. Kennington, who donated the Harris house along with its furnishings and 15 acres of land. Lynn Baptist Church was incorporated December 30, 1999.The church house used as the third church, which was completed in 1953 and added on to for the present church, is used today as classrooms, and an auditorium was built in 1947. The date for a sacrifice offering for the third church building, which was being built at the time, was October 29, 1950. A parsonage was built in 1962 at a cost of $9,475, and the note burning for this parsonage was September 6, 1964. An organ was bought with green stamps in 1962.The church house used as the second church was built about 1938 according to a 1948 newspaper that stated plans had been announced for the building of a new church (the third one) and that the present church (second building) was about ten years old. This would make the first church building used from about 1890 to about 1938.Early Church Minutes: June 25th, 1898: We the Baptist Church of Christ at Salem met Saturday before the fourth Sabath in June 1898. After service by Eld. James Hilton, the church was called to order for conference. 1st: Invited visiting brothers and sisters to aid us. 2nd: Gave opportunity for membership – none received. 3rd: Called for reference, read and adopted. 4th: Motion offered and carried to postpone communion. All other postponded. Came to dismission. James Hilton, Mod., W.A. Walker C.C. September 23, 1900: We the Baptist Church of Christ at Salem met on Saturday before the fourth Sunday in Sept. 1900. 1st: Called for peace and fellowship. All in peace. 2nd: Gave opportunity for membership. None. 3rd: Called for reading of last minute. Read and received. 4th: A motion to defer Bros. W.L. Long and W.T. Willingham till next conference. 5th: A motion to elect Moderator and Clerk, to wit: B.F. Shank, Mod., William A. Walker, C.C. 6th: Elected messengers to the association to wit: B.F. Shank, K.C. Crow, J.R. Courington, and W.A. Walker. Came to dismission till Sunday following. A proud and glorious protracted meeting with the following additions. By letter: Mrs. Creola Ezelle, Miss Cutie (?) Ezelle, and Miss Artie Burns. By baptism: J.W. Blackwell, Johny Lynn, Miss Lillian Pierce, Miss Emma Long, and Miss Sallie Harbin. Meeting closing Sunday Sept. 30, 1900. Collected for minute funds: $1.25. B.F. Shank, Mod., W.A. Walker, C.C. The following is a list of pastors for Lynn Baptist Church: B.F. Shank (1893-1897), G.W. Davis (1911-1915), J.A. Love (1915-1916), G.W. Davis (1916-1919), B.F. Shank (1919-1920), T.P. Sutherland (1920-1924), J.T. Sims (1924-1925), T.M. Noles (1925-1926), Abraham Dickinson (1927-1928), R.M. Dickinson (1928-1930), G.R. Dodd (1930-1931), John Sutherland (1931-1932), Jim W. Reeve (1933-1934), John C. Lanier (1934-1936), Jerry M. Burns (1936-1937), Clifton B. Sims (1937-1938), Audie Wilson (1939-1945), L.M. Lott (1945-1947), Benjamin Garland Dodd (1947-1950), Audie Wilson (1951-1953), E.D. Strickland (1953-1954), Ike L. Ford (1955-1956, 1958-1959), Ed Massey (1961-1963), Bob Ross (1964), Dillard McGriff (1965-1966), V.T. Lewis (1967-1971), Harold Benson (1972), Ike L. Ford (1973-1975), Bob Causey (1976-1979), Bob Burton (1980-1981), Ed Goforth (1982), Mike Goforth (1983-1987), Jim Plyer (1987-1991), Darrel Smith (1992-1993), Frank Wilson (1994), John Riddle (1995-1997), and Richard Tucker (1998-1999). The following is a list of some of the deacons: 1969: Willie Glo Baughn, Lawson Pendley, Fred Farris, and Herman F. Little; 1974: Lelton Harbin; 1978: Crant Tittle, James Elkins, and Loyd Wakefield. Lynn Community Church of God: Lynn Church of God was established May 3, 1985 with Jackie Pounders, Laurie Pounders, Jammie Pounders, Joe Boyd, Eula Mae Boyd, and Rick Cross as charter members with Laurie Pounders as clerk. Trustees in 1988 were Rickie Rowell, Billy Martin, and Gilbert Bittinger. The original building was a mobile home, which was later sold to Becky’s Wholesale Flowers. The present building is made of brick and was built about 1995. The name of the church was changed to Harvest Temple Church of God on June 7, 2004, but it was then changed to Lynn Community Church of God on October 27, 2006. Former pastors are Jackie Pounders (May 1985 – August 1987), Rickie Rowell (September 1987 – August 1990), Ray Mann (September 1990 – January 1991), James Best (February 1991), Jimmy Green (March 1991 – September 1998), Spurgeon Kimbrell (September 1998 – September 2000), Melvin Fuller (October 2000 – August 2003), James Cook (September 2003 – January 2004), Jerry Cameron (February 2004 – May 2006), Stephen Crowe (October 2006 – September 2008), and Nick Ray (June 2010 – Present).
Other Communities: Ashbank: The vicinity near and around the Ashbank Freewill Baptist Church and Cemetery on County Road 59 just north of the Walker County line. The church was established before 1900 and was called Hopewell. Hopewell Church was shown to be in existence in newspaper extracts as early as September 1900, though it was used interchangeably with the name Ashbank in the early 1900s. According to available tombstone data, the earliest burial was Carrie C. Smith who died on February 27, 1892. A school was also located here that consolidated with Lynn on May 31, 1935.Ballenger: This community was located on County Road 339 near the Rocky Plains area and road. The post office was established on July 11, 1900, had two postmasters (George W. Ballenger and Caleph D. Ballenger), and discontinued and consolidated with Lynn on October 31, 1903.Blooming Youth: Blooming Youth Church was located on County Road 25 heading east toward Double Springs near the County Road 79 intersection. The cemetery is the only remnant left of this place. Within two miles east of this place are some other mentions in this book: Mt. Ebron Church and Squaw Creek School, which was located across the road from Mt. Ebron. Brown's Creek: Brown’s Creek was located on County Road 339 near where Brown’s Creek crosses the road and the Blue Springs Cemetery. It was once a thriving community with a post office that was established on January 2, 1879 and discontinued on February 15, 1917, consolidating with Lynn. In 1880, the population was 35.Crossroads: Crossroads Church of Christ and Cemetery are located a few miles southwest of Lynn at the Hwy. 13 and County Road 353 intersection. This would have been the Byler Road in the earlier part of the 1900s. In the 1800s, this area was also known as Farris. The first known burial in the Crossroads Church of Christ Cemetery was Linnie Christine Downey in 1921, and the present building of the church was built in 1973. Another church located about one mile southeast of Crossroads is the Philadelphia Deliverance Tabernacle, of which the present building was built in 1964. Crossroads also had a school that consolidated with Lynn on May 31, 1935.Enon: Now called Enon Missionary Baptist Church, it was once called Pleasant Hill Church. A school was taught in the church before the consolidation into the Lynn school. The church and cemetery are located at the intersection of County Roads 339 and 37. The first known burial in the cemetery was Viletus Manasco in 1876. The church joined the Clear Creek Baptist Association on September 29, 1893.German Crossing: Now known only locally and on some county road maps, German Crossing is located near Southern Homes and Pace Industries, at the intersection of County Roads 59 and 356. There are three theories as to the naming of German Crossing. One is that German spies were located near here during World War II. Most likely, it was named so because of the early settler Peter Ingle being from Germany or because a family with the last name of German lived nearby. A family by that name still lives in Lynn, though most of their family was from the Nauvoo area. The name German Crossing was found as early as June 1, 1944 in the Advertiser-Journal newspaper, when Ray Pennington was “hit by a train at German Crossing.” Millstone Mountain: New Prospect Church, better known as Millstone Mountain Freewill Baptist Church, and the adjoining cemetery, is located near the intersection of County Roads 25 and 37. The mountain itself is the highest peak in this part of Winston County, second highest in all the county. The first known burial in the cemetery was George Anthony Dodd in 1958. Although the establishment date for the church could not be obtained, it was found as early as 1928 in the newspapers. Oak Hill: Oak Hill School was located near the end of County Road 367 (Low Gap Road) close to the Yankee Trace Road (County Road 17). It consolidated with the Delmar School on September 30, 1935.Parcoal: Parcoal was a town, or probably referred to as a community. Not much is known about Parcoal, as all that remains is documentation of its history, an application for a post office to be established, the postmasters listed in the “Record of Appointment of Postmasters,” a few mentions in the newspaper, and early historical maps of Alabama. It can be assumed that it was a mining town, as it was estimated that the post office would deliver to between 500 and 700 people. The name of Parcoal references this as well. The Parcoal Post Office was established on November 9, 1904 and discontinued and consolidated with the Lynn Post Office on February 29, 1908. It had two postmasters: Joel C. Gray, Sr. (November 9, 1904 – April 18, 1905) and Byrd W. Day (April 18, 1905 – February 13, 1908). Parcoal was located about two miles northwest of Lynn on County Road 59. The application for the post office has it about 100 feet east of the railroad and one and a half miles east of Blackwater. The post office was located on the route from Florence to Parrish, and the application for the office was dated September 19, 1904.Rocky Plains: About five miles in an easterly direction from Lynn, there lies sections of exposed glade rocks known as Rocky Plains. Sporting a post office and school, there were many families that located here in the 1800s. Indians lived in this area before the white people came, evidenced from the places in the rock where corn was ground and the many arrow heads that can be found in the area. This was also the area where the infamous Dr. Kaeiser lived that was killed in the Civil War. The Rocky Plains Post Office was established on August 23, 1875 and discontinued on September 5, 1886. It had only two postmasters: Barnabas Kelly and L.A. Cowart. The post office was located a little east of the Rocky Plains near the Kelly Mill. Rocky Plains had a school as well. It consolidated with Double Springs Elementary School on May 27, 1932.Sardis: Sardis Church is one of the oldest churches in Northwest Alabama. The first burial in the cemetery that is known, taken from the tombstone data, is 1862. It was known at one time as Bold Springs, which moved from where Sardis is now located to an area south of County Road 367 in the Low Gap community. There was a school at Bold Springs that consolidated with Lynn on August 12, 1929.Splunge: Splunge Creek starts near Delmar and winds its way down crossing County Roads 17, 25, 339, 341, and ends near the intersection of County Roads 70 and 37. It is sometimes called Sponge. There was actually a post office in the vicinity. It established on June 28, 1882 and lasted until June 21, 1883. It had one postmaster: William J. Rose. On the form proposal to establish the post office, the name of the post office was written as “Splunge,” and then it was marked out and “Sponge” was written beside it. According to this form, the post office would have been located about one-half mile west of Splunge Creek, making it near the intersection of Hwy. 5 and Peaceful Acres. Wood: Though a good description of this small community can be found in the news part of this book where it says Wood was located near the intersection of County Roads 25 and 367, some maps show this place was actually at the north end of County Road 29. It had a post office that established on April 8, 1909 and discontinued on February 12, 1917.
Incorporation and Mayors: The Town of Lynn was not incorporated until April 29, 1952. At that time, there was a pool room operated by Albert Long in Lynn, and to comply with state laws, the needed to incorporate. In 1952, an election was held to decide on the incorporation with a vote of 34 to 17 in favor of incorporating. On July 8, 1952, an election was held and Quinton Hopkins was elected as mayor with the five aldermen as Oliver Cofield, Benny Barton, Jack Thomas, W.A. Long, and Earnest Pendley. What follows is a typed transcription of the Articles of Incorporation with a copy of the signature page. Filed April 29, 1952 in the Minutes and Final Record Book, Volume 8, Pages 172 and 173. The State of Alabama, Winston County. Hon. G.R. Dollar, Probate Judge of Winston County, Alabama, Double Springs, Alabama. We the undersigned, inhabitants of Winston County, and residing within the limits of the territory proposed to be incorporated as a municipality to be known as the Town of Lynn, Alabama, and constituting a community of more than 100 inhabitants and representing more than four qualified electors to each quarter of each quarter section embraced in said plat, petition your honor to call an election for the purpose of voting on the question of incorporating said Town of Lynn, Alabama and to do any and all acts necessary according to law to perfect said incorporation. Signed: C. Rose B.T. Cofield Dan A. Heck Luther Pendley W.A. Long C.H. Barton Rex Lindler R.F. Wheeler Loyd Wakefield Troy L. Lyle Mary Wakefield G.C. Pendley B. Barton Lawson Pendley Mark C. Thompson Robert Carley John T. Harris Zelbert Lindsey Mrs. J.T. Harris Vaudrie S. Tittle Mason Williams Ethel Rose Amis Williams Sam Barnett J.C. Pendley W.M. Dodd Oren Waldrop Thelma Dodd Oliver Cofield Dr.? Taylor Hubert H. Fry Beginning at SE Corner of Section 35, Township 11, Range 10 West, thence West 440 yards, more or less, to the SW Corner of the SE 1/4 of the SE 1/4 of said Section; thence North 220 yards, more or less, to the center of the West boundary line of said forty, thence West 440 yards, more or less, to the West boundary line of the SW 1/4 of SE 1/4, of said Section; thence North 440 yards, more or less, to the center of the West boundary line of the NW 1/4 of the SE 1/4 of said Section; thence West 440 yards, more or less, to the West boundary line of the NE 1/4 of the SW 1/4, of said Section; thence North 440 yards, more or less, to the center point of the West boundary line of the SE 1/4 of the NW 1/4 of said Section; thence East 1320 yards more or less, to the center point of the East boundary line of the SE 1/4 of the NE 1/4 of said Section; thence North 220 yards, more or less to the NE Corner of the SE 1/4 of the NE 1/4 of said Section; thence East 880 yards, more or less, to the NE Corner of the SE 1/4 of the NW 1/4 of Section 36, Township 11, Range 10 West; thence South 1540 yards to the center point of the East boundary line of the NE 1/4 of the NW 1/4 of section 1, Township 12, Range 10 West, thence West 880 yards, more or less, to the center point of the West boundary line of the NW 1/4 of the NW 1/4 of said Section; thence North 220 yards, more or less, to starting point.
Mayors of Lynn: Name and Service Dates E. Quinton Hopkins July 8, 1952 - October 9, 1956 Ernest Pendley October 9, 1956 - 1959?Mason Williams1959? - 1969Ben G. Barton1969 - July 1, 1969 Mason Williams July 1, 1969 - August 10, 1971 E.Q. Hopkins August 10, 1971 - June 11, 1973 W.F. Little June 11, 1973 - October 13, 1973 George Craven (Pro-Tem)October 13, 1973 - November 1973 James Boots Duke November 1973 - 1976?Loyd Wakefield 1976? - February 18, 1980Earnest Pendley February 18, 1980 - April 7, 1980 Loyd Wakefield April 7, 1980 - June 1984 James A. Carpenter June 1984 - October 1, 1984 Robert Wayne Bass October 1, 1984 - December 1, 1986 Terry J. Farris December 1, 1986 - October 3, 1988 Barbara E. Duke October 3, 1988 - October 5, 1992 Eric Tyson Bass October 5, 1992 - July 19, 1996 L. James Winslow July 19, 1996 - August 2, 1999 D. Michael Lamb August 2, 1999 - December 31, 1999 Craig Cockrell December 31, 1999 - October 2, 2000 Robert Wayne Bass October 2, 2000 - March 10, 2003 Earl Dodd June 8, 2003 - May 25, 2004 Randall Harris May 25, 2004 - October 4, 2004 Mike Boyd October 4, 2004 - April 18, 2005 Derreck Cagle April 18, 2005 - November 3, 2008 Ronald Haley November 3, 2008 - March 2, 2009 Brian Heck (Mayor Pro-Tem)March 4, 2009 - April 6, 2009 Brian Heck April 6, 2009 - October 29, 2012 Fred Easley October 29, 2012 - September 23, 2013 Jeff Stokes (Mayor Pro-Tem)September 23, 2013 - October 10, 2019 Earl Gilbert October 10, 2019- Present